Children love story time! They love listening to stories over and over. Parents/Caregivers, don’t be fooled if you have older children (middle school & highschool). They love story time too! Pick up their favorite book and you will see that no matter what age, your child will sit and listen to a story.
Benefits of story time for elementary aged children:
- Stories help develop a child’s imagination.
- Stories help model language for children.
- Stories help nurture a child’s listening abilities.
- Stories help children comprehend the world around them.
- Stories expose children to a larger vocabulary than the spoken word.
- Stories introduce and reinforce concepts such as colors, shapes, letters, etc.
- Stories encourage a love of reading.
- Stories allow children to hear the modeling of letter sounds and words
- Story time allows adults to model prosody, fluency, and expression.
- Storytime models good oral reading skills for parents and caregivers to follow.
- Storytime can help children become successful readers and learners.
- Storytime introduces songs, finger plays and nursery rhymes to parents that can be enjoyed at home.
- Story time creates a social opportunity for parents and caregivers.
Here is an article that discusses the benefits and provide tips for reading to your child.
It is taken from a wonderful bilingual website called Colorín Colorado. Stay tuned for future postings about teaching Latino children Spanish in an English-centric world.